We are designed to MOVE! I know, it can be difficult to get started if you aren’t used to it. Maybe you’re not an athletic, or you hate the idea of a gym. But there are many ways to get going. You can simply stand up and stretch every hour or so, take a leisurely walk around your neighborhood or dance across your bedroom floor!
Whether you are normally sedentary or more of an exercise fanatic, remember that movement doesn’t have to be long or strenuous to be effective, and there are more benefits than you may realize:
1. Walking improves circulation and promotes growth of new blood vessels.
2. It can help relieve muscle tension and reduce the release of cortisol, a hormone that serves as a messenger of stress.
3. If walking alone, you have some space to sort out your thoughts. This is a good time for a reality check – are your thoughts true, or is anger or fear clouding your point of view?
4. Alternatively, walking with a friend gives you an opportunity to vent, instead of building on your frustrations. Sharing the burden lightens your load. You’ll feel uplifted and more positive when you are done.
5. Have you been interested in meditation? Walking is a perfect way to start! Walk as if you were a young child, exploring the outdoors for the first time. See, feel and hear things, without wondering what they mean. Just enjoy the wonder of the outdoors.
It doesn’t matter what you choose to do. The important thing is to find something you enjoy. In this way, you’ll be sure to keep moving!